Main Forum

News Attention: All Members Please Read.

1 reply
[KE] Ryslo Suramlo aFC LEADER
Votes:
+85
Level 4
LEVEL 4
Admins
Free Comany Leader
There has been a few voices that have brought up concerns not with me but with someone else. I feel I need to address these issue's in a broad sense as to clarify any misconceptions there may be. As well as I hope to shine some light on the collective rather then taking a small sample size and changing everything we've been doing for well over a year. I keep names out of this and I leave this vague both out of respect but also out of courtesy as others not yet spoken of may feel the same. Please read the following sections and understand where we stand as a Community, as we've always stood as a community.

Mentor Events

These Events are not meant to be taken by any single individual and no one should feel obligated to take them. I understand there are a few who have taken it upon themselves to support all the individual GM's but I ask you to not do that if its causing you visible stress out of character. These events were not meant to be taken by someone this way, in fact these events are meant to be: Small, Intimate, and engaging. The Mentor Events only have an Impact on the 'Main Story' by building influence with the NPC's that give us the tasks, otherwise the effect is minimal at best. So if that wasn't conveyed or anyone feels that it was missed please understand that was not the intent and consider this the clarification. We created Mentor Events for two reasons:

1. To Let people tell stories on a smaller scale and in return help them learn the best way for themselves to grow as GM's. As well as give a chance for people to build their characters outside the FC House with others.
  2. Also, To reach out to people having trouble making it to the Main Event (These people felt left behind).

Because of those two reasons I wont be changing how Mentor Events are played out, as their ultimate goal is to reach out to those who otherwise feel neglected and forgotten. In the future though I will make it even more abundantly clear that these events have a minimal effect on the main story and future engagements. I do want to apologize to anyone who felt stressed, overwhelmed or misunderstood the Mentor Event Program (As ultimately this is my fault). It really is meant to be Intimate, a small engagement and giving room for people to get to know each other outside larger events and the FC house. It's also meant to provide opportunity for those who otherwise wouldn't have that opportunity to RP in 'events' due to their real life schedules.

Criticisms

Please understand that I love constructive criticism. I relish in it as long as its a conversation that's back and forth. That said I want members to come to me with their complaints so we can address any worries or fears directly. As much as I appreciate people playing the middle man it creates to much conflict and leaves a lot of room for misunderstandings. If you an issue please I urge you to come and talk to me. If you ask anyone here that's been apart of us for over 4 months they'll tell you I am all ears. Also involving GM matters and RP matters Waht'ya has said he will take any questions regarding those matters as well (He is an Officer). Plain Drama on the other hand I would recommend coming to me so I can fix the matter at hand. I'm not the sort of person who will act on hear-say or one-way conversations. Its not how we operate here. We are fair to everyone and expect everyone to be fair with each other. I want to stress that no one has been unfair to other people, at least not intentionally. In short:

If you have concerns about the RP System and Don't feel comfortable coming to me for some reason Please Seek out Waht'ya Zangholo.
If you have drama concerning another Member please come to Myself, Ryslo Suramlo.

Lastly, I want everyone to Respect the people who are running these events. If you have comments about how they are running things please don't address them directly. A Game Master has the right to overlook things, to minimize matters and what not to make things fair across the board. Understand that Hosting Events is a volunteered option and the people doing these events are putting themselves out there. Comments to them during an event will only create tension and lets be honest none of us want that. I ask that you all be supportive of these new GM's and remember the following:

1. Gm's going out of their way to create content and should be supported
  2. Gm's have the right to make judgment calls on the fly about how to handle specific mechanics or situations, and to steer the scene
  3. Gm's should be constructively critiqued personally on those matters only if they invite it by stating so
  4. Different GMs have different styles and that's ok.

If someone makes you uncomfortable by how they are reacting then you need to come to myself and I will address the matter before it gets worse. The Officers and I do talk about these things (To be transparent) so please understand we are here to support the whole.

Main Event, Specifically Book IX

These events are meant to be Big. After all you have Twenty or so members coming in on these and fighting a Squirrel just wont cut it. We are not the Warrior of Light, nor will we ever fight Ascians or Ancient Wyrms. Nor will we ever fight Primals. However we will fight Imperials of various ranks, we will face off against mysticism and we will have challenges that push us because everyone here has some sort of skill set that demands a bit more difficulty. We are a large group where as the Warrior of Light is only a single being with the power of twenty men (maybe more). So I want to bring this message home and stress that what some of you have gone through thus far is as far as it goes. There will be no fighting gods, or creatures of immense power but the void is part of our world. We have a profession that deals with the void (Conjurer) and we have a profession that skirts the void (Thaumaturge). These things are very much apart of an Adventurer's world. Lore wise we are not creating Gods to rule the land, but we are making events that can withstand a large groups of players. We have had a lot of events that have had just dialogue and events that had both. On the extreme we have had straight up fight events too. I have been doing as requested by a few members some discord RP with some of these 'Npcs' and giving some depth to the villain of these stories. That's Awesome! I'm always open to try new things and develop new events, and the discord RP is new!

I make this statement as bold as I do because its important I stress and bring home to everyone (General Statement) that we wont ever be like the Warrior of Light, but together we will face odds that alone would appear overwhelming. My suggestion to people who feel that things are 'too much' perhaps react as your character should then. Best Example was Cinnabar's character who nearly crumbled at the sight of a Voidsent, or even mine who trembled but was able to stand due to his experiences as a Conjurer. RP is always a combination of Free Form and the System as its Guidelines. You do what your character would do and the GM will respond accordingly with the effects.
Posted Jan 11, 18 · OP
List
Undo
[KE] Ryslo Suramlo aFC LEADER
Votes:
+85
Level 4
LEVEL 4
Admins
Free Comany Leader
Mentor Event Notes.

[Selene Rose} "Is it ok or will we lose rank if we can never do a mentor event? I barely have time as it is to do the few things I get to." - No. Mentor Missions are Optional as far as hosting is concern. Hosting them allows you to exceed the rank of High Knight, if you wish never to host your Highest Rank you can Achieve will be H.Knight. Also if you never attend one its fine too. You are not required to attend them either; just understand progression for you as far as your sheet is concerned may be slowed or ascending rank. Mentor Events again are meant to reach out to people struggling to get to our normal days. - Ryslo Suramlo

[ Lisbeth Shinosaki] Do we have anything planned for revising how the system works? Such as , stat,s rolls ,character sheets. Has this been brainstormed? - We visit RP revisions at the end of each book. It was just recently though we decided to hold off on making further revisions at this time due to a overwhelming plea to give everyone sometime to just keep the system as is. We were making to many changes and to many fixes for people. For many it was starting to feel like a chore. In the future we may make further revisions based on feedback we recieve in the forums as we create a thread on which everyone can participate in and take the feedback that is easy to adjust, fix or correct. We dont make any 'Major' changes in a single sitting. - Ryslo Suramlo

[Waht'ya Zangholo] I am somewhat responsible for suggesting slowing down adjustements presently to give some breathing room foreveryone who had to make new sheets for the most recent iteration--of which I can attest there have been several. The current system is geared toward simplicity and roleplaying to fill in the mechanical gaps.

[Light Armeigo] Will we ever have a point where side quests can work apart from the main story? Perhaps as Light works against Garlean Convoys, that would be a mentor event but has zero connection to the main story. Any plans for those in the future?" - Once we get our First Knight Captain's we will have events where people can tailor the story to their own design. The Mentor Events currently are to get people A) Use to each other, B) Work out GMing Quirks, C) Get comfortable with the System as it is. We really wanted to make a progression for these sorts of things and getting people through a process so they dont feel overwhelmed is seriously important to us as a group. Thats the core foundation of what we are trying to do for the collective is make things streamlined enough that everyone goes through the same process. - Ryslo Suramlo

[Light Armeigo] So Knight Captains can host seperate styled events? Or is that something at somepoint any knight will be able to do if they've proven the abililty to host mentor events before? Ive seen certain people who could weave tales that would make Lord of the Rings shameful but they have trouble working inside a box. --- At minimal the person will have to be a High Knight when the Advance Story Telling Mentor Events are released.

This also answers the other Question I got: Regarding personalized events, will we ever be able to tailor character specific plots and stories? -- High Knights and Above will be able to do this in the future, however rewards and such may change when these customized events are established (as its important for everyone to tell their story) we also do not want to take away from the Overall FC Story which cater's to everyone.

[Light Armeigo] Suggestion: I understand the need to keep personal stories seperate. It prevents anyone from loophole leveling up or even draining events. I just feel a award/recognition would provide a more diserable result to it even if its minimal. Example: If a personal event took out a entire Garlean convoy and it was all roleplayed and documented it would make sense for it to be acknowledged within the fc. -- As of now, I dont have plans for this. Leveling has already started to become easier with the current system. If and when we make changes to the RP System we may revisit this suggestion. - Ryslo Surmalo

[Opted Name] Also, there must be a way to give more incentive to participate in personalized rp events , as without reward... why would people come? This is more a lack of confidence, as assumptions make me believe that people would rather ignore events that has no purpose for them to attend. -- If the only reason people attend events is for reward then that would be the wrong reason to go to any RP. The reward is there for the System and nothing more; Most of us are Heavey into the RP and enjoy getting to know others. I can only speak for myself but I spend a lot of time rping with people (Minus today) and have gotten to know a few very well lately including their personal plights for nothing more then just RP Story - Ryslo Suramlo

Criticisms

No Questions, Comments or Concerns.

Main Story

No Questions, Comments or Concerns.

Other Comments

Ryslo Suramlo: Basically for those who haven't read it. It basically explains why we fight the things we fight or go up against the things we face. We are not the WoL nor will we ever be fighting things like Primals or Ascians but we will face challenges for a group this size and events scale based on the members that attend. If I had only Six people attend a Main Event the event would be smaller in scope. We will try to do more Varity in the type of events so its not just 'combat' or just 'dialogue'-
Ryslo Suramlo: - moving forward. We did differing events long ago and we can revist that now as we have a broader range of people.

[Ryslo Suramlo] I felt this area was well explained too and seeing I'm not getting many tells on this; I'll assume it is safe to move on to the final portion of our talks tonight. I want to say I'm very impressed with the creativity I have seen from everyone in the FC. A lot of you are starting to think outside the box, starting to emote differnt avenues. I appreciate the diversity. Please keep emoting and reflecting your character. I love that some of you even emote feeling overwhelmed against the things we have fought or having it effect you later. Its a huge difference from what we struggled to find when we started. Because of this Mechanics will be getting a bit unique again as they once did as I feel this group can offer the answers to finding them. So please keep this as a warning that future events will not be so 'cut and dry' as they have been. As Waht'ya said those moments have been my favorite to read as well. Keep them coming and know that as long as you guys communicate with me I'll do everything I can to work things out. Things /Mentioned Tonight/ have not been shut down, Just at this time some of the things mentioned are on hold until we are ready to make further changes. I once made the mistake and was starting to again of making to many changes to quickly and it overwhelmed our members. SO for our newer folks please understand changes will come but they come a tad slower to let people absorb and retain.
Posted Jan 14, 18 · OP
List
Undo
Top Posters
517 Posts
180 Posts
[KE] Carmen Arkwright AdminHigh Knight
63 Posts
49 Posts
[KE] Sehra Muril High Knight
46 Posts
[KE] Waht'ya High Knight